The Latvian State Roads performs the management of the state road network, administration of the State Road Fund and organisation of public procurement in order to provide the publics with profitable, durable, safe and environmentally friendly state road network. Maintenance and development of parish, company and household roads is supervised, as well. Quality Management System certified according to ISO 9001:2008 by “Bureau Veritas Quality International” ensures that the activities of LSR are well organised and meet international standards. Since October 26, 2004, the Latvian State Roads is a State Joint Stock Company that operates according to Company Statutes and the Agreement “On Road Sector Management” signed with its main client – the Ministry of Transport of the Republic of Latvia. The State Joint Stock Company “Latvian State Roads” is 100 % owned by the state. The shares are managed by the Ministry of Transport of the Republic of Latvia. State Joint Stock Company “Latvian State Roads” is the legal successor of the former Latvian Road Administration and now fulfils the same road administration and management functions
Tasks of the Latvian State Roads are to:
- implement the counting, registration, management and protection of state roads;
- prepare the strategy for state road network preservation and development;
- administer the state road financing;
- organise public procurement in the road sector;
- organise and control road network design, construction, repairs and maintenance;
- prepare legal acts of the branch and control their implementation;
- co-ordinate traffic safety organisation on roads;
- supervise the construction, maintenance and protection of parish, company and household roads.
Additional tasks of the Latvian State Roads are:
- consulting and services in the road sector;
- organisation of training, seminars and conferences;
- business activities for better implementation of targets and tasks set in the Statutes.